Monday, October 15, 2012

Fresh Start


I am so excited that I can share with all of you my Weight Watchers Journey.  I started the new points plus program almost one week ago. I am not doing meetings however a co worker was able to get me started and I have found a ton of useful information on the internet to carry me along That I would love to share.
The last time I did a body makeover challenge I had to give up because shortly into it I found out I was pregnant and therefore dieting to lose was out the window.  I did not have as much energy in this pregnancy than I did with my first. I think mainly because nap times just do not exist when you have  a toddler at home.  I was very proud that I did not gain much during the pregnancy just eleven pounds YAY!  For a girl who has been on the fluffier side of life I was overly excited. However pounds packed right on during my maternity leave.  Now that my baby is six months I am ready to buckle down and get busy.  Mainly because the holidays are upon us and I need to feel in control.
I have tried many diets in the past and find that sticking with anything for any length of time was the major challenge. Some things are just unrealistic for anyone. I was most successful with biggest loser plan. I was able to lose 45 lbs just before my first pregnancy five years ago.  However I found it hard to keep my calories low enough to keep losing weight for any length of time.
I am happy that now W.W. does the points plus.   Which takes in account the glycemic index of foods . Basically it rates food on how much energy they provide after you eat them.  Thinking of foods in different terms seems to work for me. I have done very well this past week and I am excited to try new recipes   And I love the fact that I can eat what the rest of the family is having instead of cooking a separate meal of feeling deprived.
So here is a recap of my first week.
I started at a 29 pt allowance ( on this plan you never go below 26pts), the very first day (Wednesday Oct 10th)  I ate double my points allowance.  At first I felt like a failure. I thought I made good choices for the day but in the end I still exceeded my points allowance. I was devastated.  Then I found out the next day that the W.W. Plan allows you 49 extra points per week.  Oh thank goodness!  So I just used part of those points along the way to keep me in check.  I think the important lesson here was not to give up when first discouraged, dust myself off and get right back at it.   I did cheat and on Saturday I weighed myself ( instead of waiting the full week) I was down 3lbs.   WhooHooo!   But I should have waited the first full week. So we will see what my actual loss is on Wednesday.
I have found a good Points Plus Calculator online.  Though *disclosure is that these are not the official weight watcher tools,   but it works

My Favorite Tip I learned this week:
Salsa makes an excellent salad dressing  and or Veggie Dip , 0 Points and Lot’s of Flavor!

No comments: